Friday, December 2, 2011

Holiday Traditions


Happy holidays, all! I am so excited to kick off the season - New Orleans is truly magical during this time of year, and I am overjoyed with the prospect of dressing up our new-ish home for the holidays. Aside from the fun events around town and the wreaths and trimmings, the best part of the season is seeing Sam's reaction to it. Now that he's a little bit more aware, I wanted to start little traditions for him. First up - his daily ornaments for his own little tree.

I was inspired by an image on Pinterest - 24 little bags, each filled with an ornament, strung across a mantle. There's an ornament to add to the tree each day in December, leading up to Christmas.

In our case, we're going to have the "regular" tree in the living room, and Sam's tree in the sun room. The recessionista in me decided to d.i.y. the ornaments out of felt, and use paper envelopes instead of customized bags. I simply wrote the numbers on the front of the envelopes and strung them along the windowsill in the sun room. I think it worked out really well!



Here's a tip - cut out a little notch in the envelope, as shown below, so that you can easily pull out the ornament without ripping the envelope.


Sam had a ball putting up his first ornament last night. Sure, he was a little confused and wanted to open all of the envelopes, but we managed to keep him entertained with the one. I think he's really going to enjoy adding to the collection throughout the next several weeks, and I know that Alex and I are going to love watching him get into the spirit of the season.

I hope you like this idea and perhaps incorporate it into your own holiday traditions.

I'd love to hear how you make the holidays special for your little ones!

Feliz weekend!

Lynne

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
custom blog design