Thursday, December 8, 2011

Holiday Traditions, 2

Photo Credit: ABC.com

"Look, Charlie, let's face it - we all know that Christmas is a big commercial racket. It's run by a big eastern syndicate, you know." - Lucy Van Pelt, "A Charlie Brown Christmas"


I love, love, LOVE holiday cartoons/specials. They bring back such fond childhood memories. Every year, I'd curl up in a blanket in front of the TV and eat Hershey's Kisses wrapped in red and green foil while watching Charlie Brown, Rudolph and the misfit toys, and the Grinch.

Okay, okay, I admit - this ritual has not been limited to childhood. No shame.

Charlie Brown has always been my favorite. Something about that dry humor and the understated score always spoke to me. And that part when poor, misunderstood Charlie puts the ornament on the tree and it keels over. There has been many a time in my life when I've identified with that image. Now, as a parent, I'm excited to pass along this tradition to Sam. He watched the Christmas Special for the first time the other night. He loved it! Well, okay, he wandered off a few times, but such is the way of the toddler. Of the parts that he did stick around for, he loved the skating scene the best. That's my boy!

Photo Credit: TVGuide.com

I can also appreciate the slower pace of these bygone cartoons. No quick editing. No crazy, over the top music. Just simple, meaningful stories and lovely art direction. Got to love that!

Ho, ho, ho!

Lynne

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
custom blog design